Thursday, February 28, 2013

Creme Brulee

Who knew that making creme brulee could be one of the easiest desserts in the world? I think most people just avoid because they're missing that essential blow torch, required to caramelise the topping.

Amazingly enough, only a few ingredients are needed:
600ml thickened creme
6 egg yolks
1 teaspoon of vanilla essence
1/4 cup of caster sugar
1/4 cup of normal or brown sugar (for the topping)

mix/beat all but the last ingredient together in a large bowl, split it into ramekins (I bought 6 super cute Marie Claire ones in baby blue, green & pink) and put it in the oven for about 40mins.

To make it all nice and soft and puffy, you can put the ramekins in cake tin trays that are filled with 1-2cm of water...something about steam and softening...don't get it! But it works!

And once the ramekins are out and relatively cooled...spread the sugar on top, BURNNNNN with the blow torch until it's golden brown (or look caramelised), and serve!

This can be served hot or cold but I found it sooo yummy when it's just lukewarm ^_^





No comments:

Post a Comment