Creme Brulee ice-cream - I only decided to do this because there was leftover egg yolk from make the macarons! The recipe is kind of inspired by Donna Hay.
1 cup of milk
2 cups of thickened cream
1 teaspoon of Vanilla extract
5 egg yolks
150g caster sugar
This was quite easy, you put the milk, cream and vanilla extract in a pot to boil, at the same time whisking the yolks and sugar together. Chuck it all together to boil for a few minutes or until the mixture is thickened. Once the thing is cold again pour it into the ice-cream maker and voila!
I also make the toffee bits by simmering some caster sugar in a saucepan until it's golden brown, poured it over some foil and attacked it with a mullet once it's cooled down to make it into small bits. Was supposed to add it to the ice-cream mix but decided against it. There's too much sugar already! So here's what I ended up with. Although tasters have told me that the mixture might have been a little too rich.
And then it was time for Watermelon ice-cream, flavouring inspired by a) the lovely ice-cream gelato I had in a cafe opposite Harrods in London and b) the cheapness of watermelons during the Summer months.
I followed a few different recipes from the likes of Taste.com.au and used ingredients like honey and rosemary (both too strong for the watermelon).
Eventually, I decided to throw the recipes down the pipes and did my own thing. Here's what went down.
1 cup of watermelon juice (left tiny pieces of watermelon in the mixture too)
1 cup of cream
1/2 cup of milk
40g water
1/2 cup of caster sugar
Bit of ice (not really needed!)
Bit of food colour (also not really needed!)
Boiled the water with caster sugar and food colouring, then chucked that with my juice, cream, milk and 3 cubes of ice in the blender for a whirl (like 3 seconds). I only added the ice to cool down the boiled sugar (usually you can just shove it in the fridge to cool instead, but I was being impatient).
Once down I threw the whole thing into the ice-cream maker and...VOILA! Perfect watermelon flavoured natural soft serve! Even my super judgemental mother was impressed, and allowed me to leave the ice-cream maker on HER kitchen counter 'for a few extra days'. Hahaha...

No comments:
Post a Comment